Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Brussels - Part 4: I died and went to Heaven

music: Bright Eyes - The Vanishing Act

I don't even remember how many times I said that while I was in Brussels.

I love music, movies and books, and most of the times I have a hard time finding the stuff I want to listen to/watch/read in Romania, and especially in the area where I live. On the one hand, I can understand why an indie label like Saddle Creek, for example, is not interested in distributing their music in a country where people don't buy music. But on the other hand, I don't understand why there is not one music store in this country that addresses music lovers, and not music consumers. I don't think it's that complicated to buy music from abroad and then sell it here. Of course, you would need tons of authorizations, and I guess that's not worth it when you think that not a lot of people are willing to pay for music when they can get it for free (and when so many Romanians are still listening to crappy music). But I digress...

In Brussels I discovered two great record stores. They had lots of great stuff (well, except Bright Eyes on vinyl): Dylan, Reed, Bowie, The Who, Patti Smith etc. etc. They even had a Salif Keita album on vinyl, and now I'm sorry I didn't buy that one. And of course I went to FNAC, where I knew I would find some Bright Eyes CDs and manga. What I didn't know was that in Brussels, there are lots of BD stores where you can find manga. If I lived there I think I would spend most of my time in those stores reading manga :P

I also discovered a quasi gay bookshop, Darakan, where they have lots of books about cinema and music. There, I found "Cinema 68", a perfect book to feed my Mai 68 obsession.

But now I'll have to make do with my visits at the French Cultural Center, where, thank God, I can find my favourite French magazines about music and movies.

No comments: