Saturday, May 30, 2009

My TIFF - Day 1

music: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104655046

TIFF started early for me. At 10 a.m. to be more exact, when I went to see Il primo giorno d'inverno by Mirko Locatelli. I'll admit this movie is slow and there's not much going on, but I liked it anyway -- I didn't feel that I wasted my time.



The other movie I saw was Zift* by Javor Gardev. I honestly didn't think I would like it. I only got a ticket for it because 'a neo-noir Bulgarian movie with its action placed during communism' sounded like the kind of movie one must see. Well, maybe if it were an American movie, I wouldn't have liked so much. I guess it reminded me of Sin City because it was black and white, but Zift is definitely much better than Sin City. (Now I want to read the book upon which Zift is based, but where could I find a book written by a Bulgarian author?)


(no subtitles, sorry :(

This year TIFF has opened with Amintiri din Epoca de Aur (Tales of the Golden Age), which has already been presented at Cannes. I'll see it next Friday, though, when there will be two 90-minute screenings (the movie is long -- it's a collective). Hm, now I'm sorry I didn't get a ticket for the official opening (I could have seen Tudor Chirila too, haha).

*I know translators receive only the script of the movie, but if you don't bother to illegally download the movie in order to better understand what you have to translate, at least pay attention to the effin context! If you have a prisoner who says his release date is today, how can you possibly translate "release" with "lansare" (=launching)? Where will he be launched? In space? Seriously!

No comments: