Sunday, May 31, 2009

My TIFF - Day 2

music: Conor Oberst - White Shoes

Tokyo Sonata. I honestly thought I was going to see a j-horror. I didn't bother to watch the trailer simply because it was the only Japanese movie playing at TIFF this year, so it really didn't matter what it was about. All I knew was that it was directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, who also directed Kairo (I have yet to see this one. I only saw the American remake, Pulse) and Sakebi (saw it and didn't like it). So, going to see Tokyo Sonata and discovering that it was actually a bittersweet comedy was a nice surprise. Communication is at the center of this movie and basically, it shows how unsaid things affect each member of an ordinary Japanese family.



Choke. This is the typical good American movie. There are a bunch of American movies about which you simply cannot say they're bad: the story is very good, also the actors' performance, but there's still sth missing -- that sth that could have made the movie extraordinary. I haven't read Chuck Palahniuk's book yet, but I have the feeling that I'll like it more than the movie.

No comments: