Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My TIFF - Day 5

music: Conor Oberst - White Shoes

La possibilite d'une ile. I went to this movie thinking that I would be blown away by it simply because it was based on a book by Michel Houellebecq and directed by the same Michel Houellebecq (btw, I had no idea he's also a filmmaker). Well, I guess my expectations were too high -- I wasn't impressed at all. Although I haven't read the book (what a surprise, right?), I think it's safe to say it's not film-material.



(This is completely irrelevant, but anyways...) The Wikipedia article on Houellebecq informs me that letters between Houellebecq and Bernard-Henri Lévy (whose American Vertigo, in French (!), still feels ignored there, on my book shelves) were published under the title Ennemis publics. And guess who's wife appears in the movie? Yes, BHL's :D Arielle Dombasle.

P.S. I have yet to see Les particules elementaires. I still remember when I first heard about it (also the first time I had ever heard about Houellebecq; it took me 3 yrs to remember the spelling of his name haha). At that time the cable company still had Rai Uno in its offer, and almost every Saturday night at around 3 a.m. I would watch a tv show about cinema -- the movie had just been presented at some film festival, and they were talking about it on the show. And of course I'll have to read the book too (even though I've heard it's pretty misogynistic). Someday. If I'm not dead. I'd need a second life just to read / watch / listen to all the books / movies / records that are on my lists.

Later edit: I don't know how come it didn't cross my mind to look for that Italian tv show (Cinematografo) on youtube. This took me to this -- I can see why Italians are so sick and tired of us. What's up with all these Romanian actresses playing in Italian movies?! Haven't they heard about the nouvelle vague du cinéma roumain? he he

No comments: