Thursday, June 4, 2009

My TIFF - Day 6

music: Miles Davis - A Trumpet vs. Darkeness (The Leader & The Side Man)
/on myspace/

The Countess.
I had read some bad reviews for this movie, but I wanted to see it because Anamaria Marinca was in it. And because it was about one of the most famous female serial killers in history, Elizabeth Bathory. Unfortunately, there's really nothing special about this movie. It's more like the typical Hallmark movie based on historic events. Not even the feminist substratum can save this movie.



Martyrs. I haven't seen a horror movie in a very long time. And I have certainly not seen such a good one in a very very long time. I definitely have to see more French horrors. Martyrs is very surprising, especially if you think how predictable horror movies usually are. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, so I won't share my thoughts about those unpredictable elements.

Seeing this only a few days after having seen Hunger was a bit weird... The torture scenes both from Hunger and from Martyrs are not easy to take in.

Also, I think it might be interesting to analyze this movie in the context of the whole feral children phenomen.

No comments: