Friday, June 5, 2009

My TIFF - Day 8

music: Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse - Revenge (ft. Wayne Coyne)

Amintiri din Epoca de Aur / Tales from the Golden Age. Or urban legends from the 80s, when communism in Romania was still alive and kicking. Written by Cristian Mungiu and directed by Ioana Uricaru, Hanno Hofer, Răzvan Mărculescu, Constantin Popescu and Cristian Mungiu.



I guess I've managed not to think at all about the realities of Romanian communism while watching this collective, and I've allowed myself to really enjoy it. I loved the carousel scene from the first episode -- it was hilarious -- and the whole Bonnie & Clyde thing from the last episode (intertextual elements again :P). Otherwise, it's pretty unrealistic. And I'm not referring to the storylines. Everything looked too good, too... colorful. I mean, it was communism after all. And tacky 80s. But then again, this might reflect the way the directors remember or choose to remember their teen years.


*****

This was a really good TIFF day. I've met some beautiful ppl and R. is in town for the festival *yay*

No comments: