Sunday, June 7, 2009

My TIFF - Day 9

music: Bat For Lashes - Trophy

Cea mai fericita fata din lume. I don't know why I thought I would like this movie. The subject itself (a girl wins a car and she goes with her parents to Bucharest to shoot a testimonial ad) doesn't allow the movie to go in too many directions. However, it does capture some Romanian realities very well, I can't say it doesn't. Now that I think about it, maybe that's exactly why I don't like it so much -- I watch movies to escape from reality, and this movie made me face it.



Antichrist. Hm, I'm not even sure I should write about it now. I should probably wait a week or two. Besides, there are so many things to say about Antichrist. After the movie, I walked for a few minutes not knowing exactly where I was going and suddenly, it occured to me that I could do my dissertation (thesis, whatever) on Antichrist - I would have plenty of things to write about.

Antichrist is extremely beautiful, poetic, intense, psilosophical. Some might say it's a horror movie, but it's much more than that. I loved the b&w scenes from the epilogue and the prologue, which were filmed in ralenti. And I loved it how nothing in this movie is used randomly (for e.g. the falling acorns). Everything is a symbol for sth. Plus, Charlotte Gainsbourg is absolutely wonderful! I wasn't so sure if I liked her as an actress, but now she's def convinced me.

I was surprised that I managed to stay very calm while watching this movie, i.e. I didn't have any reactions to the scary / shocking scenes. But the moment I got out into the real world, those images started haunting me. And I'm sure they'll haunt me for a few weeks in a row.



P.S. *spoiler!* The scene where she's drilling a hole into his leg made me think of the final scene from Audition. Does that make any sense?

2 comments:

artupset said...

Well, well, well... I very much enjoyed your comment about Antichrist... Din pacate, a fost singurul film pe care imi doream sa-l vad la TIFF si l-am ratat pentru ca a trebuit sa plec. Multumesc pentru recenzie :) si nice to meet you!

plectrude said...

nice to meet you too! (^_^)

deja vreau sa revad Antichrist, dar nu stiu ce s-ar putea intampla cu mine daca raman singura cu el. astfel ca astept sa apara in cinematografe :D