Monday, August 17, 2009

Two weeks away

music: Bright Eyes - A Spindle, A Darkness, A Fever And A Necklace

I've always liked the little story read by that kid at the beginning of Fevers and Mirrors. And until recently, I've just assumed that story was written by Conor, simply because it sounded like sth he would've written. But no, I was wrong. It's actually an excerpt from a children's book, Mitchell Is Moving by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat, w/ pictures by Jose Aruego and Ariane Dewey.

I found the book at Book Depository (which is the most amazing online bookstore because they make free deliveries anywhere in the world), and I received it today*.


Here's the excerpt read at the beginning of Fevers and Mirrors (I especially like the "two weeks" part):
"So long everything!" he shouted
Then he ran next door to Margo's house.
"I'm moving," he said.
"Where?" asked Margo.
"Two weeks away," said Mitchell.
"Where is that?" asked Margo.
"It's wherever I will be after I walk for two weeks," said Mitchell. "I have lived in the same place for a long time. It is time for me to go someplace else."
"No!" said Margo. "You have only lived next door for fifty years."
"Sixty," said Mitchell.
"Fifty, sixty. What's the difference?" said Margo. "I want you to stay next door forever."
"I can't," said Mitchell. "I do not want to wake up in the same old bedroom and eat breakfast in the same old kitchen[...] Every room in my house is the same old room, because I have been there too long."

*I've also ordered Sylvia Plath's Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, but I didn't get it yet. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail...

No comments: