Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Classics

music: Van Morrison - Cyprus Avenue

I'm the worst music fan in the entire world!

For a long time I didn't exactly have access to a lot of music, but I don't have any excuse for the last three or four years - I know ppl with great taste in music, and, you know, it's the wild west out there. Since I'm trying to convince myself to live by the "it's never too late" motto (I'll probably expand on that in a future post), I told myself I should stop complaining about my gaps in the music department and start filling said gaps. So I guess that explains my recent charts / additions on last.fm (btw, if you're reading this and you have a last.fm account, please add me - I like knowing what other ppl listen to).

Anyways, here's what I've been listening to lately:

The Runaways - I really really like these girls!
The Beatles - Abbey Road - I confess: I've never listened to a Beatles record from the beginning till the end until now. I guess that when everybody says that this or that band is the best I become quite skeptical, and I postpone the listening session.
The Clash - I like London Calling, but the rest... I don't know, that reggae thing doesn't really work for me.
Janis Joplin - Greatest Hits
Led Zeppelin - Presence

Also, I've finally taken Tom Moon's book and started listening to some of the albums featured there:
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Stone Roses - s/t - I have never heard of this band, and now that I've listened to it, I keep stumbling upon articles about them.
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - wow. WOW! This album is truly amazing. I would have probably never listened to it if it weren't in this book. For me, Van Morrison is one of those musicians who have a few songs that get so much radio play, that they eventually become incredibly annoying and cheesy. (and oh, yeah. I can see now who Robert Pattinson is trying to imitate - the problem is that he's trying too hard - uuh, I'm being so mean ;))

No comments: