Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sheep happens

music: Declan De Barra - Red Forests

It's the second year when the guys at Anim'est organize a three-day follow-up in Cluj, and if last year I only saw a series of short films, I promised myself that this year I would go see at least one feature a day. Um, yeah... that didn't happen. I only managed to go see Miyazaki's Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, and Afro Samurai: Resurrection.

I'm so angry at myself because while watching Nausicca I could barely keep my eyes open; I was so tired (but I don't know, I should've had some coffee or sth *grr*). Plus, I would've loved to write sth about these movies, but that requires lots of hours (it's Japanese animation! I need more than two or three hours to write about Japanese animation. I know, I know: I'm so slow.) Besides, I have a ton of reading to do for school (it just never ends! but if I put Résiste on repeat and sing along - you don't wanna hear that - it gets a little better *sigh*).

So anyhow, loved the movies:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind


Miyazaki's work is really amazing - I don't even need to say that, it's a known fact. One day, I'll make time and watch all his movies. (Uuh, btw: reading his filmography, I was surprised to find out he directed 15 episodes of Lupin III between 1971 and 1972. I used to watch Lupin III on Italia 1 or Canale 5, I don't really remember, when I was about 9 or 10 *grin*).

Afro Samurai: Resurrection


I read about Afro Samurai on the website of Otaku Magazine right after it was released, a couple of years ago (or wait. was that post about the tv series? now I'm confused...), so I was glad I finally got the chance to see it. The animation is outstanding! And I loved Lucy Liu's voice acting. However, the story line is full of clichés; it's the same old revenge story. Also, is it really that difficult to pronounce "Sayonara" correctly (i.e. with a long "o")? Seriously!

No comments: