Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Afternoon

music: Rachael Yamagata - Elephants




It's a choice to stay.


I love how you can take that out of context and apply it to whatever suits you. Sunday Afternoon is one of my favorites from Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart (and I lurv that lo-fi video). I've been listening to this album quite a lot lately. It's sort of a re:discovery, a very lovely one. I listened to it once or twice when it came out, and I haven't revisited it until recently. Not that I didn't like at first, but because there are so many new music releases these days that I can't keep up anymore, and then I end up listening to a bunch of new albums, one after another, without actually listening to any of them.

Before Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart came out I listened to this concert, which you can still stream at NPR. It sounds like such an intimate concert, even though it was broadcast on national public radio. After performing Elephants she says [an approx. quote]:
I never thought I'd get to the point where I was actually relating animals to my life or situation, much less animals you usually find in Africa, but it worked out one day. I was running down this mountain and it just kinda started to come to me. I was pretty depressed about something, and sorta had that emotion of wanting to off myself and thinking nothing is worth it anymore. And at the same time I was so inspired by nature and life and in awe that all I wanted to do was live forever.

I love Rachael Yamagata's smoky voice (even though that smoky voice and her face too remind me, to a certain extent, of sm from my childhood, sm who hurt me a lot). And of course, I love the fact that I can find her on Bright Eyes' Cassadaga and Four Winds. :)

(How many times have I used the word "love"? yikes)

No comments: