Friday, May 20, 2011

Je suis spellbound

music: Love Letter to Japan mixtape

Even though I should be grateful I can listen to so much music for free (and legally!), the huge amount of new music releases is overwhelming. I don't have the patience to listen to dozens of albums and in the end find maybe only one or two that I like. The sifting process is very tiring and I end up finding no joy in listening to music. So far, the only 2011 albums I like are Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo and tUnE-yArDs' w h o k i l l, and of course Bright Eyes' The People's Key, duh.

Since I've been neglecting the music department, I guess it's no wonder I'm only listening to the new Jay-Jay Johanson now. I don't believe in much, but I do believe in love at first listen, and Spellbound is exactly that. It's a whisper, and I love that about JJ's music. It's also depressing, that's true. But I like depressing. Lyrics like that reassure me that my mental patterns don't spell out c-r-a-z-y.

I just hope that sm in Cluj will be inspired enough to organize a Jay-Jay Johanson concert here. There. I have M's ticket stub from that one time JJ gave a concert in Bucharest, and I look at it wishing I had been there, but the truth is I wouldn't go to Bucharest just for a concert (unless it's Conor we're talking about) (I did that once, for Leonard Cohen, and it turned out ok, but it was enough). So, sm please organize a Jay-Jay Johanson concert in Cluj, pretty please!

Jay-Jay Johanson - Dilemma

No comments: