Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Everyone is hanging out without me

music: David Lynch ft. Karen O - Pinky's Dream

But that's okay. I'm hanging out with Mindy.


I had trouble finding smth pink in my wardrobe but in the end I did find smth that I hadn't worn in years, smth that I don't know why I still have (*cough* hoarder!). Btw, that wall in my room was never supposed to be pink. It was supposed to be red. I still get angry about that sometimes b/c my room looks like the room of a twelve year old girly girl. Anyways. I wanted to wear smth pink b/c that's Mindy's (she's Mindy to me, not Mindy Kaling; now that I've read her book we're totally best friends) favorite color and b/c she's wearing pink on the cover of her book. Conor Oberst Reference Opportunity: that photo of Mindy is taken by Autumn de Wilde, who also took those very pink photos of Conor. And in case you don't know, book-clothes color coordination is totally a thing. Just ask Miranda July.

I finally got the book yesterday, while I was in the middle of getting ready to write a film review. I haven't written one of those in like forever and I really want to start writing about film again but it's so difficult to just start, basically b/c I know the outcome would suck compared to what I would want to write. The book, with that awesome title and that pretty cover, was so tempting, though - in the end, I stayed true to my procrastinator nature and left my own writing aside and read the book. The whole book. Reading an entire book in one day, in one go (!) is kinda rare for me. I am however embarrassed to say how many hours it took me to read it as this is a pretty light read and you should be done with it in about two hours. It took me way longer. I didn't read it "every night for two months" but still: "something is not right".

Speaking of getting ready to write, I loved this paragraph:

I've found my productive-writing-to-screwing-around ratio to be one to seven. So, for every eight-hour day of writing, there is only one good productive hour of work being done. The other seven hours are preparing for writing: pacing around the house, collapsing cardboard boxes for recycling, reading the DVD extras pamphlet from the BBC Pride & Prejudice, getting snacks lined up for writing, and YouTubing toddlers who learned the "Single Ladies" dance. I know. Isn't that horrible? So, basically, writing this piece took me the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Enjoy it accordingly.

Reading stuff like this coming from successful writers is quite reassuring. Most of the times I'll stare at a blank page for three hours even if I've already done my research and know exactly what I need to say. So instead of staring for another three hours at my laptop screen I'll do smth around the house or, more likely, keep staring at my laptop screen - randomly surfing the net or watching a tv series or YouTube videos.

I've blah-blah-ed too much about pink and how I read the book and now I no longer have the energy to comment upon the body image issues in this book. Which reminds me: I've never gotten around writing about the body image issues raised by Tina Fey in Bossypants. I'll add these two to the long list of Things To Write About Till 2012, i.e. Till The Apocalypse. Oh, don't worry, I'm not delusional. I know few ppl are interested in body image issues, and even fewer (read: zero) are interested in my opinions on this issue. But you know, I want to write about stuff like this just for fun. Yeah... I should probably stop talking about writing and actually write sth. Ugh.

There aren't many HA HA moments in Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? but it's so heartwarming. It left a long-lasting smile on my face.

Now I feel like re:watching The Office just to see Mindy's scenes again. I have a ton of watching and re:watching to do and until I organize my viewing sessions I'll just re:watch these Subtle Sexuality videos.

Subtle Sexuality - Male Prima Donna


Subtle Sexuality - The Girl Next Door


+ The Concerns of Mindy Kaling

In the tradition of "The Concerns of Mindy Kaling":

Good for: The Office fans, ppl who like reading creative ppl's blogs, anyone who thinks Hollywood needs more women writing tv and movies.

No comments: